Alien Dating Tips
Here are some tips, folks - mostly aimed at men, but a few for women as well. The tips below apply to GLTDs as well as breeders.
1. Don't forget to call the next day.
2. Flowers are good and always appreciated.
3. Yes, you should pay. But don't make a big deal about it. It's just a nice thing to do.
4. Make at least one decision during the date - being flexible is good, but so is being decisive.
5. Listen and make mental notes; you will be tested on your recall later.
6. Don't talk excessively about ex-girlfriends/spouses/flings/etc.
6a. For that matter, don't talk excessively.
7. Say yes to shaving and dressing up.
1. When your date doesn't call right away, it doesn't usually mean anything significant. We just suck at calling.
2. Don't assume your date is a jerk before he acts like one. I understand this sentiment - after enough bad dates it's tempting to think defensively.
3. Don't talk excessively about ex-boyfriends/spouses/flings/etc.
IN OTHER NEWS
Took a break from "Moby Dick" to read Bill Moyer's "World of Ideas II." It's a compendium of interviews from his late, great show interviewing artists, scientists, writers, etc on important topics. If you can catch this on DVD, you should. What's interesting is that the volume I'm reading was published in 1991 - but most of the issues that he's bringing up are still with us, both the good and the bad.
Go watch "Dead Like Me." Great series, cruelly cancelled by Showtime in its prime. I've been hearing about it for a couple of years, and finally started renting it on DVD. The main character is a reaper - someone who takes souls from their bodies just before death, and guides them into the afterlife. She and the other reapers are all souls that aren't ready to go on yet, so they "volunteer" until they collect enough souls.
Sounds gloomy, right? It's wonderfully funny and poignant. Even the deaths.
All right, until next time.