Saturday, April 21, 2007

Cooking With Alien

In loving and sincere imitation of CityMinx, I offer you my first (and probably last) cooking entry: Veggie Bachelor's Delight.

INGREDIENTS:

(1) Container LightLife Smart Ground Original. This is soy-based "sloppy joe" meat. It has a ton of protein and no fat.
(1) Small jar of Tomato Sauce. I used Francesco Rinaldi Original Traditional Sauce. I used it because it was on sale for 80 cents at KeyFood.
(1) Block of cheese, any type - I used cheddar
(2) Pitas - I used Toufayan Bakeries Whole Wheat Pita, but I'm not fussy
Spices as per your pallet

Vegans please note that you'll want to look for non-animal-based tomato sauce and should substitute that disgusting rice cheese you guys use for the cheddar.

STEPS:

(1) Open up the Ground Round. Break off about half of the stuff into "crumbles" into a non-stick frying pan. Put the pan on medium-high heat.

(2) Open up the jar of tomato sauce, and pour in about 6 oz. (you don't want soup).

(3) After about three-four minutes, turn up the heat just a bit. Cut up a few pieces of cheese and put them in.

(4) After six-seven minutes, take the whole thing off the burner.

(5) Put the pitas directly on your burners, light them up, then flip them after about 20 seconds or whenever you smell toast (the goal is toasted, not carbonized, pitas).

(6) Dump the unattractive-but-delicious sloppy joes into the pitas, and enjoy.

I would have provided pictures but I ate everything too quickly.

Assuming the nutrition info is accurate, I figured that I ate the following:


StuffQuantity
CALORIES:680
PROTEIN:45 grams
FAT:12 grams / 110 calories
CARB:90 grams (mostly from the pita)
SUGAR:17 grams (mostly from the sauce)
FIBER:15 grams (pita + soy)

No trans fat, a lot of sodium (over 1000mg). But no grease, no animal hormones or other buggies to worry about.

If you think 680 calories is a lot, then scale back the number of pitas - or just eat it loose. Also keep in mind that I'm still a fairly large person (about 225 pounds). Most folks will be happy with a serving about half as big as this one.

COST:Well, you can make two or three of these dishes for about $10 (the smart Ground is half the cost; everything else you can get pretty cheaply). The Smart Ground can stay in the fridge for a while.

Okay, now that I've officially posted my "I ate a cheese sandwich" entry, I'm off to do other things.

1 Comments:

Blogger CityMinx said...

sounds yummy...

12:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home