Saturday, December 30, 2006

Peace on Earth...

Well, the holidaze are nearly over.

A funny thing happened to me while I was walking around with the Minx on Xmas eve. We walked by the windows at Macy's. Apart from appreciating the talent that went into creating the windows, I also noticed something interesting:

People from all over the world and of all ages, races, creeds, etc. were standing by the windows, being nice to each other. Despite the crowd and the loads of kids (some of whom were acting a bit bratty), I didn't hear a single harsh word, feel a bump as I walked around (I get those a lot on the subway), or see anyone being anything but fascinated by the display:

For a brief few seconds, there was peace on earth. Sniff.

MOVIES AND BOOKS AND STUFF

Go see Childen of Men. Really interesting stuff, very well done. Have seen it twice this week (with two different folks) and am still processing it. I think my intellectual reaction will probably come later. My emotional reaction is: what an involving, heartfelt piece of work.

Finally got through Vellum. I told y'all about this sci-fi novel a few posts ago. I have to revise my opinion a little bit: it's a very good piece of work, and the writer is very talented. However, I really feel that a strong editor and a stronger sense of story would have propelled this novel into the stratosphere.

The piece is constructed to be nonlinear and somewhat post-structuralist in nature (there are multiple storylines that are interrelated thematically, that occur on different planes of existence and at different time periods). But the net effect is less than the sum of its parts. However, I'll probably still buy the sequel "Ink" when it comes out.

Happy new year folks! Peace on earth, goodwill towards all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home