Thursday, December 21, 2006

The Holidays Are Upon Us

I just want to take a moment out to wish everyone the best of everything: peace, love, happiness, joy, all that good stuff.

Our world is a complex and sometimes frightening place. We are forced to judge our surroundings, the situations we find ourselves in, and the people we meet, based on very imperfect evidence, just to stay alive and focused on our day.

At holiday time this becomes more acute. What do I get someone? Do they really like this band's CD or am I getting them a present that's really for me? Is the person in front of me going to take that parking space?

When it's all over and done, you end up with a pile of used-up wrapping paper and a big credit card bill.

It's at times like these that I feel the most alien. I wish I could connect to people's hearts. I wish I could suspend my judgement of people and look at them as they really are. I can't really do it. I wish I could, but my own emotions (both good and bad) ultimately color the picture I see of them.

Do you know what I mean?

Oh and by the way, happy holidays.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas to you too! None of us are perfect in the judgment department, but I think you do a great job at accepting people for who they are.

Hope Santa gives you everything you want!

10:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sure you don't want to run and get your poxy Captain Quadde and hide behind his skirts?
hydrocodone

4:52 AM  
Blogger Rob Toth said...

Merry Christmas, you beautiful old Building & Loan!

7:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home